5 January: Unity And Teamwork
Prayer and Fasting Session
Date - 5 January 2021
Prayer Theme - Unity and Teamwork
- God is the symbol of unity as demonstrated by the Holy Trinity. The Holy Trinity symbolises God as one being made up of three distinct persons who exist in co-equal essence (same level of importance) and co-eternal communion as God the father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit.
- God showed us His desire to unite and commune with us by separating the children of Israel for Himself; giving His only begotten Son that whosoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life - John 3:16
- Jesus loved us that when He ascended to heaven, He sent us the Holy Spirit that through Him we continue to have a relationship with Jesus. John 14:26 - But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.
- There is no unity and teamwork to talk about when there is no love. Love is the overarching quality of Godly living upon which all other good Christian qualities are born
- John 13:34-35 - A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- 1 John 3:24 - Now he who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.
- Pray, fast and feed upon God's word
Gives life to us and the church
- Prayer, fasting and feeding upon the word of God is what gives us life. We are spiritually dead as Christians and as a Church if we neglect prayer, fasting and the word of God.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:17 - pray without ceasing
- Hebrews 4:12 - For the word of God is alive and active… it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
Brings protection and blessings upon our lives
- One of the devil’s greatest strategy against Christians is planting a spirit of division among the people (Divide and conquer strategy). We ought to pray and fast against the spirit of division in our church. Like many spirits, they do not just go by prayer alone but by prayer and fasting. Matthew 17:21 - However, this kind does not go out except by prayer and fasting.
- When we pray in the name of Jesus, He gives us life (Protection and blessings) in abundance. John 10:10 - The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.
- The world that we live in if full of trouble. There is so much sickness, dishonesty, anger, hatred, and deceitfulness. His means we often get hurt physically and/or emotionally. Spending time in prayer, fasting and the word of God brings healing to our physical and/or emotional wounds. John 16:33 - “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”
- We speak words that bless others when we are full of the word of God. Proverbs 12:18 - The words of the reckless pierce like swords, but the tongue of the wise brings healing. And when we speak healing words, we bring people together (unity).
- Pray that you make it your mission to individually and collectively do God's will
Jesus said “my mission is to do the will of the Father.”
- God wants us to fear Him that we may not sin. Exodus 20:20 - And Moses said to the people, “Do not fear; for God has come to test you, and that His fear may be before you, so that you may not sin.
- When we fear God, we become wise and knowledgeable. Proverbs 9:10 - The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, And the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.
- Holiness not an act of our work, it is an act of God's grace. However, in order to live a holy life, God requires us to pursue holiness. Hebrews 12:14 - Pursue peace with all people, and holiness, without which no one will see the Lord
Be fruitful and multiply
- This was the first commandment that was given to man at creation. Each and every one of us has a calling upon our lives. God has placed talents in each and every one of us. Some people are called to ministry, some are called to the market place, some are called to politics. Daniel 1:17 - As for these four young men (Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael & Azariah), God gave them knowledge and skill in all literature and wisdom; and Daniel had understanding in all visions and dreams.
- When each member faithfully functions in their place of calling, i.e., is fruitful and multiply their talents, then the word of God assures us of abundance in both our individual lives and collectively as a church – Matthew 25:14-30 – The parable of the talents
- The bible says there is a crown of glory/favour placed upon our lives. Daniel 1:9 - Now God had brought Daniel into the favour and goodwill of the chief of the eunuchs.
- We are designed to reign, hence the crown placed on our head. Daniel 1:19-20 - Then the king interviewed them, and among them all none was found like Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah; therefore they served before the king. And in all matters of wisdom and understanding about which the king examined them, he found them ten times better than all the magicians and astrologers who were in all his realm. The bible says in Romans 8:37 that we are more than conquerors through Christ who loved us.
- Yet we are all members of one unit (body of Christ) and each member is important to the functioning of the unit. Romans 12:5 - So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and individually members of one another. When we excel at an individual level, we also excel at Church level. This can only happen when we are united.
It is important that we encourage each other to do God’s will all the time. There are blessings that we collectively miss as a church if we do not walk in God’s will. The bible in Joshua 7 speaks of a man called Achan who caused Israel to sin before God when he took some of the accursed things which God had forbidden. Joshua 7:11 - Israel has sinned, and they have also transgressed My covenant which I commanded them. For they have even taken some of the accursed things, and have both stolen and deceived; and they have also put it among their own stuff.
- Pray for obedience
Be subject to leadership and authority
- God has placed people in leadership and authority in His Church
- He commands us to be obedient to such leadership and authority
- Titus 3:1-5 - Remind them to be subject to rulers and authorities, to obey, to be ready for every good work
Do not complain
- Complaining separates us from God’s will and can stop us entering our destiny. Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without complaining and disputing.
- The children of Israel failed to enter the promised land because they constantly complained against God. Numbers 32:11 - So the Lord’s anger was aroused on that day, and He swore an oath, saying, “Surely none of the men who came up from Egypt, from twenty years old and above, shall see the land of which I swore to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, because they have not wholly followed Me,” Joshua, Caleb, Joseph and Job entered their destiny because they honoured God in the face of adversity.
- Moses understood this principle when he pleaded with God to not destroy the Children of Israel. Exodus 32:13-14 - Remember Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, Your servants, to whom You swore by Your own self, and said to them, ‘I will multiply your descendants as the stars of heaven; and all this land that I have spoken of I give to your descendants, and they shall inherit it forever.’ So the Lord relented from the harm which He said He would do to His people.
Pray for a fresh new attitude everyday
- Obedience follows from having the right attitude
- A bad attitude makes one unattractive, it even overrides the good that is on the inside.
- The word of God calls on us to put on the character of a new creature in Christ.
- Colossians 3:12 - Therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, put on tender mercies, kindness, humility, meekness, longsuffering; bearing with one another, and forgiving one another, if anyone has a complaint against another; even as Christ forgave you, so you also must do.