8 January:Families And Relationships
Marriage is the institution that brings forth children.
The marriage institute is under attack, as the devil knows that is he succeeds in destroying marriages, the family unit is disrupted.
Love and unity amongst couples
1 Corinthians 13:4- 8
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonour others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 8 Love never fails
Strong and stable marriages produce strong families when families are strong children flourish.
Unity, Teamwork, Peace and Love in marriages.
Our marriages must be healthy, they must thrive.
Healthy marriages overcome challenges.
(Children must also pray for their parents, and not say we are not married so its not our business)
We acknowledge that we have different family setups, we have single-parent families, grandparents led families, blended families & mum and dad led families
Charity begins at home
The fear of the Lord in the families
13 So if you faithfully obey the commands I am giving you today—to love the LORD your God and to serve him with all your heart and with all your soul— 14 then I will send rain on your land in its season, both autumn and spring rains, so that you may gather in your grain, new wine and olive oil. 15 I will provide grass in the fields for your cattle, and you will eat and be satisfied.
18 Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds; tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. 19 Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. 20 Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates, 21 so that your days and the days of your children may be many in the land the LORD swore to give your ancestors, as many as the days that the heavens are above the earth.
Homes must be the first church environment that our children experience, God must be found in our homes. “ This book shall not depart”
Parents need to walk the talk and set an example for our children
15 But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD.”
Serving God must be a priority for families, parents setting an example, and encouraging children to also find a place to serve, making every member a minister
Encourage especially our Youth to arise and take up space in the house of the Lord not only specific times that they are called on to preach but in the day to day life of the church.
Young parents to rise up and take up space.
We are saved to serve.
Relationships between parents and children
Ephesians 6:1-4) 6 Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. 2 “Honor your father and mother,” which is the first commandment with promise: 3 “that it may be well with you and you may live long on the earth.”
4 And you, fathers, do not provoke your children to wrath but bring them up in the training and admonition of the Lord.
- Children to respect parents
- Parents to have the capacity to listen to children
- Effective communication
- Strong love between parents and children
- From parents love that is balanced soft and tender yet strong enough to discipline
- From children strong enough to understand and accept discipline
- Genuine Love between siblings (Cain and Abel)
- You are your brother’s keeper
3. RELATIONSHIPS WITHIN THE CHURCH FAMILY
We are brothers and sisters
- Genuine love
- Romans 12: 10-13
- 10 Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honour. 11 Do not be slothful in zeal, be fervent in spirit,[a] serve the Lord. 12 Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. 13 Contribute to the needs of the saints and seek to show hospitality.
- Healthy relationships within the church, in the moto department, in the sisters union department, in the youth department and children’s ministry.
- Forgiveness is the glue that holds relationships together
- “ It is impossible for offences not to come” Luke 17:1 (Shona)
- The closer the relationship, the greater the chances of offending each other.
- Couples forgiving each other.
- Parents forgiving children and children forgiving parents
- There members of the same family that do not see eye to eye anymore
- Some even brought each other here but they no longer talk to each other
- Some we sent money to and they betrayed us and we never forgave
- Some expected too much from us and we cut the connection
- Relationships with fellow brother have been severed because of the failure to forgive
- God forgave us, we must forgive without us even saying sorry
- 13 bearing with one another, and forgiving one another, if anyone has a complaint against another; even as Christ forgave you, so you also must do.
5. SPIRITUAL WARFARE FOR FAMILIES AND RELATIONSHIPS
- The devil fights all godly relationships
- We cannot afford to relax, because he doesn’t.
- Fight against the Spirit of rebellion.
- Mental Health issues in families
- Strife in Marriages
2 Corinthians 10:3-5
3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh. 4 For the weapons of our warfare are not [a]carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, 5 casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ,