Day 1: Develop a strong relationship with God, 02 January
1. Sin affects your relationship with God
- Sin hinders our fellowship with God
- 1 John 1:6 If we say, "We have fellowship with him," and yet we walk in darkness, we are lying and are not practising the truth.
- When a Christian sins, they remain a child of God but out fellowship, like the prodigal son.
- Being out of fellowship takes away your peace and joy until the fellowship is restored
- Sin blocks our prayers
- Isaiah 59:1 Surely the arm of the Lord is not too short to save, nor his ear too dull to hear. 2But your iniquities have separated you from your God; your sins have hidden his face from you so that he will not hear.
- The first prayer that God hears after you sin is a prayer of confession
- Praying while we are living in sin is a waste of time
2. Obedience brings us closer to God
- Obedience expresses our love for God
- John 14:15 "If you love me, keep my commands.
- Christianity is a love relationship with God, and it's essential to do what pleases him.
- If you genuinely love God, nothing will stop you from obeying him like Abraham who was ready to sacrifice his son
- Obedience releases the favour of God
- Isaiah 1:19 If you are willing and obedient, you shall eat the good of the land;
- Even our lives, a child who obeys gets the parent's favour
- You cannot ignore what God wants you to do and expect him to do what you ask him to do
- Obedience moves God to fight our battles
- Exodus 23:22 “But if you carefully obey his voice and do all that I say, then I will be an enemy to your enemies and an adversary to your adversaries.
- God has promised to defend those who obey him, and he will do it without fail.
- God protects those who obey him like Job who had a supernatural hedge around him
3. Unforgiveness is a serious matter to God
- God does not forgive people who don’t forgive
- Matthew 6:14-15 For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.
- It's pointless to ask for God's forgiveness when you don't want to forgive others
- Forgiveness is a decision that is based on the word of God, not your feelings or whether the person asks for forgiveness or not.
- We must learn to forgive as soon as possible
- Ephesians 4:26 And “don’t sin by letting anger control you.” Don’t let the sun go down while you are still angry,
- God expects us to treat forgiveness as a matter of urgency
- If you delay in dealing with a broken relationship, it becomes worse
- Your relationship with God reflects in human relationships
- 1 John 4:20 If anyone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen.
- God cares about your human relationships because you represent him.
- God expects us to take care of both natural relationships and spiritual relationships
4. Your relationship with God must grow
- Prayer must be an integral part of your daily life
- Daniel 6:10 Three times a day, he got down on his knees and prayed, giving thanks to his God, just as he had done before.
- Develop your prayer life until it becomes your way of life
- It must feel awkward for you to spend a day without prayer
- Christianity is a relationship and all relationships are hinged upon communication
- Invest time in studying the word of God
- 2 Peter 3:18 But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
- Your level of knowledge must increase as your years in christ increase
- The more you know his word, the more you know him because he has revealed himself in his word
- Live for God
- Romans 14:8 If we live, we live for the Lord; and if we die, we die for the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord.
- Our primary purpose is to live for God, and everything else is secondary
- We must give priority to the will of God in our lives