Day 10:The Operation of the Holy Spirit in our lives , 11 January
1.Baptism in the Holy spirit
- As Apostolic Faith Mission, we believe that every believer can be baptised in the Holy Spirit with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues. This not a mere church tradition, but it is based on the experiences that occurred in the early church. Acts 2:4 states that ‘ALL of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them’. Joel 2:28 says, “And afterward, I will pour out My Spirit on ALL people.”
- At our local church, we have had several altar calls where many people were baptised in the Holy Spirit with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues. There are hindrances to baptism in the Holy Spirit, which include living in sin, unbelief, lack of understanding and false teaching.
- If you are not yet baptised in the Holy Spirit, pray in faith for the Spirit of God to fill you in 2020. Luke 11:13 says ‘So if you sinful people know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him.”
- If you are baptised in the Holy Spirit, pray for God to fill you with His Spirit continuously. Acts 4:31 shows the same people who had been previously baptised in the Holy Spirit were filled with the Holy Spirit again. It says, ‘After they prayed, the place where they were meeting was shaken. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and spoke the word of God boldly.’
- Pray for God help you to deal with any hindrances to baptism in the Holy Ghost
- Pray for God to fill you with His Spirit continuously
- Believe God for a new spiritual experience in 2020
2.The work of the Holy Spirit
There are several things that the Holy Spirit will do in our lives. We need to pray as we surrender to the Holy Ghost for him to work in our lives. Remember, we cannot do it by ourselves, so we desperately need the Spirit of God
Pray for the Holy Spirit to:
- Teach you. Acts 14:16 ‘…he will teach you all things’
- Help you Acts 14:26 ‘ But the Helper, the Holy Spirit…’
- Lead you Rom 8:4 ‘…those who are led by the Spirit…’
- Empower you Acts 1:8 '…you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit comes.'
- Help you to pray Rom 8:26. ‘We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us.'
3.The gifts of the Holy Spirit
Although tongues are the initial evidence of baptism in the Holy Spirit, it has to be noted that there are is much more spiritual activity which happens when one is filled with the Holy Spirit.
Firstly, there is the fivefold ministry which describes the five gifts which Jesus Christ gives to the church through the Holy Spirit. According to Ephesians 4:11, ‘So Christ himself gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors and teachers,’. The purpose of the fivefold ministry is clearly explained in the following verse, Ephesians 4:12 which says, ‘Their responsibility is to equip God’s people to do his work and build up the church, the body of Christ.’ It's critical to notice that individuals in the fivefold ministry are not meant to do it all by themselves but to train believers to do the work.
Secondly, there is what are called spiritual gifts which are given by the Holy Spirit to all members of the body of Christ for the benefit of all members. If you don't know your gift, it does not mean you don't have a gift. These gifts are listed in 2 Cor 12:8-11 which says, ‘ to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; 9To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;
10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another various kinds of tongues; to another, the interpretation of tongues:
11But in all these works that one and same Spirit, dividing to every man individually as he will.’ It is the responsibility for every believer to pray for God to help them to discover their spiritual gifts.
Thirdly, there is what are called service gifts. These gifts give us the divine enablement to serve God with excellence as we do things which appear to be natural. It is vital to understand that these gifts are operational in the day to day running of the church. Service gifts are laid down in Romans 12:6-8, which says, ‘In his grace, God has given us different gifts for doing certain things well. So if God has given you the ability to prophesy, speak out with as much faith as God has given you. 7If your gift is serving others, serve them well. If you are a teacher, teach well. 8If your gift is to encourage others, be encouraging. If it is giving, give generously. If God has given you leadership ability, take the responsibility seriously. And if you have a gift for showing kindness to others, do it gladly.’
- Pray for God to help you to discover your gifts
- Pray for the operation of the gifts of the Spirit in our church
- Pray against false manifestations
4. The fruit of the Spirit
The presence of the Holy Spirit in one's life must be evident in the fruits that they produce. In his letter to the Corinthian church, Apostle Paul emphasised that “if I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have absolute faith so as to move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.” (I Cor 13:2). The Spirit of God must change your character. We must pray for the fruit of the Spirit which is listed in Galatians 5:22 which says, “ But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives:
- Self Control
- Pray for the character of Christ to be manifested in your life
- Pray for the light of Christ to shine through your life
- Pray for the Holy Spirit to help you with your character
God sent the Holy Spirit to empower us for an effective Christian life in this world which is full of challenges, temptations and trials. We must always pray to stay connected to the Holy Spirit for him to continue to work in our lives. Baptism in the Holy Spirit is available for all, God and God wants to continuously fill us with His Spirit . We must yield to the work of the Holy Spirit in our lives. The Holy Spirit comes with the fivefold ministry, spiritual gifts and services gifts to empower the church supernaturally. The presence of the Holy Spirit in our lives must be evidenced by the fruits we produce in our character.Back to posts